Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Profesora

Hola! Well, I got the job at Colegio de la Liga. Tonight I met with the guy who's been teaching there for the last four weeks and will continue to teach until I finish my TESOL course and take over. He is this British guy who seems really nice, but totally overwhelmed. He kept blaming things on Latin America. He said, "This whole continent is mad!" about 8 times!

It looks like I'll be teaching 7 different classes. "What?" you say. "Seven periods?" No. SEVEN CLASSES. A 5th grade Language Course, 8th grade A and B, 9th grade A and B, and 10th grade A and B. Also, they are one year behind the states, so 5th graders are 9 years old, 8th graders are 12, 9th graders 13 and 10th graders 14. SOOOOOO-- it will definitely be a different experience. But whatever. I am really excited.. but definitely overwhelmed! It looks like a lot of work.

Also, it looks like we found an apartment. I'm living with a girl, Rozana, from my program, and this girl Angie from North Carolina who is working at the same daycare as Rozana. We'll be living in the Mariscal-- kind of the cool downtown where all the clubs and bars are. So that should be cool. They call it "Gringo-landia" because all the extranjeros (foreigners) live in the Mariscal- which is not something I'm necessarily stoked about, but we'll be living in the same building as some of the guys from my program, so that will be nice. Plus, I'm going to be working in authentically Ecuadorian school with an almost entirely Ecuadorian staff, so I think/hope that I'll be adequately immersed in Ecuadorian culture!

The cool thing about the apartment- it's 3 bedrooms, four bathrooms. There's a guard outside the building (which is standard- even in safe neighborhoods). Gas, Electricity, Water and Wireless internet included, and furnished-- $490/ month!!! Of course- I'm going to be making $600 dollars a month... so everything is relative, but it's pretty sweet.

This weekend we're off to Papayacta. I have no idea what it is, but it should be cool!

No comments: